These can be used for wipes similar to the store bought ones or baby wipes. The essential oils make the difference. Use chamomile and/or lavender essential oils to soothe irritated skin.
DIY Wet Wipes
- 1 1/2 c distilled water (or boiled and cooled)
- 1 T castile soap (or other natural, mild soap)
- 1 T aloe vera gel
- 1 T witch hazel extract or rubbing alcohol
- 10 drops grapefruit seed extract or tea trea oil (optional)
- 1 T sweet almond oil (or olive oil)
- 10-15 drops essential oils of choice (optional)
- 1 roll strong paper towels
- Storage container (old wipes container, tupperware, or plastic ice cream bucket.
Cut the roll of paper towels in half with a sharp knife. Place one half of the roll in a tall container (or accordion fold the towels and place in an old wipes container). In a small bowl, add the water, castile soap, aloe vera, witch hazel, almond oil and grapefruit seed extract, and stir to mix well.
Add the essential oils and stir to combine.
Slowly pour mixture over the towels to saturate them.
If you’re using a wipes container, just pull the towels through the little slot in the cover and you’re done! If using a tall container, flip it over after 5-10 minutes to make sure the towels are completely wet with the solution. Then flip it back over, pull out the cardboard roll from the middle and the first towel should come right out.
1. This recipe is for one half of the paper towel roll. I use the half sheet tear ones so that I can use only 1 fold per sheet. Depending on the brand and size of your towels, you may need to adjust the amounts of water and soap in the recipe.
2. If using reusable cloth wipes, just pour the solution into a shallow pan and place the cloth wipes in the solution until they’re saturated. Then just place the wipes into an old wipes container and use as you would regular wipes.