I have only recently been introduced to harissa. The spicy pepper based paste is a North African condiment that pairs well with meats and vegetables. It makes an exceptional sauce for butternut squash noodles.
I topped my noodles with delicious crispy brussels sprouts dehydrated in olive oil, salt and pepper. Yum!
Spicy Raw Butternut Squash in Harissa Cashew Sauce
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 T EVOO
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Harissa Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1/2 c raw cashews, soaked (for at least 4 hours)*
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoons harissa paste, to taste
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c water, or more for a smooth texture
- sea salt, to taste
Cut and spiralize the top half of the butternut squash. Toss in olive oil salt and pepper and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
Take soaked cashews and blend with garlic, EVOO, nutritional yeast, harissa and lemon juice.
Blend well. Add water a little at a time until desired consistency.
Serve sauce over noodles.