I made this raw ratatouille recipe with fresh husky cherry tomatoes, mini eggplants, zucchini, and chives (garlic and onion) from my garden. The tomato sauce recipe is here. Simple ingredients. Amazing dish!
A mandoline makes quick work of the sliced vegetables. Eggplant in particular, requires a few hours of marinating in order to be eaten raw. Salt helps to breakdown some of the antinutrients in that vegetable.
- Yield4 servings
- Energy116 cal
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper- red, cored, seeded and sliced thinly
- 2-4 small tomatoes, sliced thinly (I used 4 husky cherry tomatoes)
- 1-2 Japanese eggplant or mini eggplant, sliced thinly
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1/4 c parsley – flat leaf roughly chopped
- 1/4 c basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 c fresh chives, garlic or onion snipped (I used both)
- raw vegan parmesan (optional)
Slice eggplant and zucchini into thin discs. Slice onion and red pepper very thin. Toss eggplant, zucchini, red pepper & onion in EVOO and salt and let sit for a few minutes.
Coat the bottom of the dish with 2 T of tomato sauce. Layer the zucchini, eggplant and tomato in a single layer on the bottom. Put onion and red pepper in a thin layer on top. Sprinkle 1 T of herbs on top. Repeat layering until finished.
Let the dish marinate for a few hours, so that the flavor develops. If you’re serving it at room temperature, simply sprinkle 1 t of each herb on top and plate.
To heat place the small casserole dish in the dehydrator and heat at 145F for 15-20 minutes or until dish is warmed through. You can also heat for an hour or so at 118F.
If you keep the dish raw, it will last overnight in the fridge. If you dehydrate it, it will last for up to 3 days.
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat4.15 g5.32%
- Saturated Fat0.61 g3.05%
- Polyunsaturated Fat0.64 g
- Monounsaturated Fat2.53 g
- Sodium599.9 mg26.08%
- Total Carbohydrate19.32 g7.03%
- Dietary Fiber8.42 g30.07%
- Total Sugars12.08 g
- Sugar Alcohal0.36 g
- Protein3.75 g7.5%
- Calcium49.54 mg3.81%
- Iron1.29 mg7.17%
- Potassium836.93 mg17.81%
- Vitamin A1694.84 mcg188.32%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)53.97 mg59.97%
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol)1.82 IU5.52%
- Vitamin K90.53 mcg75.44%
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)0.15 mg12.5%
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)0.17 mg13.08%
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)2.22 mg13.88%
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)0.4 mg23.53%
- Folate90.6 mcg22.65%
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)0.87 mg17.4%
- Phosphorus97.53 mg7.8%
- Magnesium52.9 mg12.6%
- Zinc0.73 mg6.64%
- Selenium0.91 mcg1.65%
- Copper0.26 mg28.89%
- Manganese0.72 mg31.3%